Planning Part One: Six Reasons to Have a Plan
This is typically the time of the year when we all make resolutions, resolving to ditch the bad habits from last year and make sure 2013 is better than ever. At Lake and Associates we are more about making Plans than resolutions. Plans help us to reach both our personal and professional goals, and with this in mind we bring you the Six Reasons to Have a Plan:
1. A Plan Defines Direction – you will be somewhere at the end of the year, but without a Plan you may not accomplish exactly what you had intended.
2. A Plan Puts You in Charge – without a Plan, the daily crisis, your customers, the competition and even your staff will have increased influence upon the direction of your business. You need to be in charge of your business …and that starts with a Plan.
3. A Plan Generates the Right Activity – having a Plan ensures everyone in your organization is focused on the right work. We are all busy… but busy doing what?
4. A Plan Creates Momentum – it can be a long way to the end of the year and, on occasion, the goals can seem out of reach . A well defined Plan provides milestones, timelines, and measures to keep us on track.
5. A Plan Prioritizes Resources – there is never enough time, money, materials, skills…so having a Plan ensures the agreed projects and activities are identified and supported. Conflicting priorities is a reality for all of us and planning removes the emotion from the decision making process.
6. A Plan Reduces Risk – all good planning involves a look in the rear view mirror, and can prevent us from re-living, or repeating, past mistakes.
Take some time this week and develop your 2013 Plan. This is the first half of the planning process. The second half is Implementation and we will talk about that next week.
Happy New Year and good luck with your 2013 Plan.